Visually impaired ski racer guide & training partner needed
BC Adaptive Snowsports is putting out an initial call for interested individuals with a strong racing background to act as a training partner and ski-racing guide to a young promising 17-year-old male Visually Impaired ski racer from Vernon, BC. This is a great role for a young coach or recently retired FIS ski racer looking for a new experience. The right candidate is still sharp and fast on their skis, has great communication skills and is a good team player.
The guide and training partner will receive training and guidance from BC Adaptive Snowsports’ Athletic Manager, Alpine Canada’s Para-alpine Development Manager, and former Para-alpine guides as they train and ski with the athlete, helping him along his para-alpine development pathway. This is an important season for our athlete and it is essential the guide and training partner commit to the full season (November-May), which is anticipated to include, but not limited to, the following:
- November 23-30, 2019 – Tentative camp in Panorama BC (8 days)
- December local training: Approximate 12 days
- December race/camp: 13-19, 2019 in Colorado (7 days)
- January local training: Approximately 18 days
- February camp/race: 7-13, 2020, Kimberley BC (7-days)
- February local training: Approximately 9 days
- March local training: Approximately 16-20 days
- April camp/race: Nationals prep and races, Winter Park, CO April 9-13, 2020 (7-5-days)
These dates are tentative and subject to change. Additional camps and training days may be added. All local training sessions will be at Silver Star Mountain, typically between Thursday-Sunday all day on snow. All costs will be covered for camps and races. The guide and training partner will also be provided with a $7,500 stipend for the role.
If you are 18+, an experienced ski-racer, with an interest in guiding a great young athlete, please send an introductory email by October 1, 2019 to Fannie Smith, BCAS Athletic Manager at: firstname.lastname@example.org