VASS is hiring an Operations Director
Vancouver Adaptive Snow Sports
Job title: Operations Director
Vancouver Adaptive Snow Sports (“VASS”) is a registered non-profit that runs ski and snowboard programs for persons with a disability at Grouse, Seymour and Cypress Mountains. Our goal is to make the mountain experience accessible to all.
The Operations Director is the key contact for students and families, and coordinates our on-hill programs, as well as off-hill promotional and fundraising events. We’re looking for someone with outstanding communication skills, strong time management and a passion for outdoor recreation, who can ensure we deliver excellent services and grow as an organization.
Please see www.vass.ca for additional information about VASS.
Hours: 375 hours per year, distributed approximately as follows:
Full-time from September 1 to April 30
Part-time (2 days per week equivalent) from May 1 to August 31
This position offers flexibility in terms of hours, recognizing that winter months require additional work while summer months present a lighter work load. The distribution of hours within a day can also be flexible – this position is not always 9-5 work hours. The successful candidate will work with the Chair to agree work schedules within these parameters.
Salary: Competitive salary and annual performance bonus.
Responsibilities and duties
- Coordinate and support student registration and program participation
- Work with Technical Director to coordinate instructor training and support
- Support Program Coordinators to match students and volunteer instructors and coordinate delivery of on-hill programs
- Coordinate off-hill events including new volunteer recruitment, instructor refresher days, fundraising, volunteer appreciation party etc
- Lead marketing, promotion and communication, including email newsletters and website updates, and management of contact databases
- Recruit, train and manage volunteer program coordinators
- Improve operational systems and processes to support information flow and management, planning and delivery of services
- Work with freelance grant writer to create powerful grant proposals
- Work with volunteer equipment manager to ensure VASS equipment is maintained and new equipment purchased where necessary
- Represent VASS at functions and events with support of Board Members
- Liaise with key partners including BC Adaptive Snowsports, Canadian Adaptive Snowsports, operators of local mountains.
- Liaise with Treasurer and Bookkeeper to ensure spending in accordance with grants and occasionally assist with bank deposits
- Lead the VASS Cup committee to coordinate out major annual fundraising event that raises $50,000+ for VASS
- Work with volunteer Board of Directors to develop budgets and strategy. Build roadmap to reach short and long term organization goals
- Work with Bookkeeper to set Board meeting agendas
- Work with Bookkeeper and Board to set the Annual General Meeting (“AGM”) agenda and lead the AGM with Board Chair
The Operations Director reports to a volunteer Board of Directors working alongside a part-time Technical Director, part-time Accountant and freelance grant writer. The Operations Director manages a team of volunteer program coordinators.
The position is home-based; a laptop and phone will be provided by VASS.
Qualifications and skills
- 2+ years operations or management experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Wordpress and Constant Contact or similar programs
- Previous experience in snowsports and/or working with people with disabilities
- Excels at operating in a fast-paced, community environment
- Strong skier or snowboarder. Experience working with adaptive ski/snowboard programs or organizations a plus.
To apply, please send resumes to Anne Bethune at email@example.com