One of the recognized barriers to participation in snowsports is cost. Through the generous financial support of our funding partner CKNW Orphan's Fund, BC Adaptive Snowsports provides the Children & Youth Equipment Grant Program.
Available to children and youth with cognitive and/or physical disabilities, the program significantly contributes to increasing the number participants who can affordably access skiing and snowboarding opportunities by providing financial assistance for general equipment needs.
Application forms 2016
Who is eligible?
Individual British Columbia children and youth with a disability (cognitive and/or physical) who are members of BC Adaptive Snowsports and whose family can demonstrate a financial need for grant support along with a connection to their local adaptive snowsport club are eligible. Preference will be given to individuals who have not previously received equipment through this program.
AGE ELIGIBILITY: Eligible applicants must be under 19 as of October 14, 2016
Funding Deadlines & Equipment Delivery Estimates
- Application Open Date – October 14, 2016
- Application Deadline – November 14, 2016
- Equipment Delivery – As soon as possible
Maximum Funding Levels per Applicant
In cases of partial funding, equipment may be delivered to the recipient only upon payment of the applicant's balance and upon equipment delivery from the supplier.
All forms of ski and snowboard equipment, not only adaptive, are eligible.
- All applicants must be under 19 as of October 14, 2016
- All applicants must be current members with BC Adaptive Snowsports. Click here to purchase or renew your membership.
- All recipients must agree to be available for a presentation event at their local mountain (if applicable)
- All recipients must agree that their name and image may be used by BC Adaptive Snowsports for promotional purposes related to the Children & Youth Equipment Grant Program
- All recipients must agree to provide a written thank you and acknowledgment and submit a photo to BC Adaptive Snowsports
- If within 5-years of receiving the granted equipment the recipient no longer requires the equipment, the recipient agrees to donate it to their local adaptive snow sport club.
- Any successful grant recipient in the past 5 years is not eligible to apply in this cycle.
- Only applications using the Children & Youth Equipment Grant Program application form will be accepted (KidSport application is included)
- Letter of support from local adaptive snowsports club (if applicable)
- Description of what equipment being requested, why necessary, what the individual’s goals are through receiving the equipment and how it will make a difference in their life
- A written outline of the financial need of the applicant, by the applicant.
- Complete Financial Verification Reference information
Financial Verification Reference (Please read carefully)
This Reference is the most important step in the grant application process and acts as an objective third party who is familiar with the applicant and is in a professional position to assess the social and economic barriers facing the applicant.
- A Reference can be a professional in social work or family services, a school principal or counsellor, a senior recreation administrator, accountant, law enforcement officer, a registered physician or nurse, or a priest/pastor
- References, other than those listed, may be considered if a written letter from the potential reference outlining the financial need of the applicant is included with the application
- References cannot be associated with the snowsports club and they cannot be a family member
Application Review Process
Applications are reviewed by BCAS staff to ensure completeness and validity. If there is insufficient expertise among staff to provide an adequate appraisal of any application, an external reviewer with expert knowledge may be secured. Decisions of the review panel are final.
BC Adaptive Snowsports respects your privacy. We never sell trade or loan your information to any other organization. Information provided in this application is being collected solely for the purpose of administering the Children & Youth Equipment Grant Program.
Would you like to help us provide more ski equipment for youth with a disability? DONATE HERE and your gift will get a child skiing this season!